By Babajide Fadoju
The Babajide Sanwo-olu’s administration has undertaken a number of new housing projects aimed at providing affordable houses for low-income families in the state. The projects, which have been in development within the short space of three years of his time in office, have indeed turned out to be a marvel to all to see and an example to other Governors.
These housing projects being executed by the Lagos State Ministry of Housing have proven that Governor Babajide Sanwo-olu is a man on a mission to take the poor masses out of the shackles dingy and poor living conditions.
The problem of affordable housing in Lagos state is a serious one. The rapid population growth in the state which according to the metro area population of Lagos in 2022 was at 15,388,000, a 3.54% increase from 2021 and the lack of affordable housing options have led to a housing crisis, with many low-income families unable to find safe and affordable housing. In an effort to address this problem, the government proposed the affordable housing project, which aims to provide new homes for low-income families.
The planning and development of the project had been a complex process. Securing funding and navigating complex regulations initially posed some challenges for the Governor Sanwo-olu administration. Despite these obstacles, the project has made significant progress, and it is now fully completed.
The 38 unit of two (2) and three (3) bedroom flat channel point apartment at Victoria Island is a game-changer for the selected low-income families. They will have access to safe, affordable housing that they can call their own. It will provide them with a sense of security and stability, and it will open up new opportunities for them, all thanks to Governor Sanwo-olu the change maker.
In addition to providing new homes for low-income families, the one hundred Housing unit at Ikate also has broader implications for the community. The new housing units will improve the overall quality of life in the area, and they will serve as a model for similar housing projects in other states in Nigeria.
The Governor Sanwo-olu housing projects is a step in the right direction, but there is still more work to be done. Affordable housing is still a major issue in Lagos state, and the government must continue to invest in projects that address this problem, that is why continuity for His Excellency Sanwo-olu is of great importance.
The Housing Projects by the Governor Sanwa-Olu administration includes but not limited to:
• Thirty-Eight units of two and three Bedroom flats Channel point Apartment at Victoria Island.
• Hundred (100) Housing unit at Ikate.
• One hundred and twenty (120) unit Courtland villa at Igbokushu.
• Seven hundred and seventy four (774) Housing unit Lagos Homes Sangotedo Phase 1.
• Three hundred and sixty (360) Units in Igbagbo.
• Six hundred and sixty (660) Housing Units in Odo-Onosa Ayeandelu Housing Scheme.
• Four hundred and eighty (480) Units in Ibese Ikorodu.
• Four hundred and ninety two home unit Lateef Jakande Housing Estate.
• One hundred and thirty two (132) home unit BRF Housing Estate Iponri.
• Twenty (20) Unit two bedroom Love Garden Apartment Service.
• Forty-eight (48) Unit of Greater Lagos LBIC Apartment pen CINEMA which was given to residents free of charge as compensation for the demolition of their homes during the construction of the 105 killometer of the prey Scheme Bridge.
• Two hundred and fifty two Bungalows at Idale Badagry.
These Housing schemes and structures have state of the art ininfrastructure, accessible roroad, drainage system, steady power supply and water supply for the comfort of the residents.
A greater Lagos is indeed Rising under the watch of His Excellency Governor Babajide Sanwo-olu. He is a game changer who is just getting started in the mission for a NEW LAGOS.